SIGN UP FOR A CLASS TODAY!
Are you Confused About Where You're Headed?
We are here to help guide you in the right direction.
First Step of Sarasota, Inc. offers FREE programming to Sarasota County residents aged 18+ to assist you in getting where you desire to be.
We have available to you, an evidence -based curriculum which promotes self sufficiency.
Living Skills, a curriculum developed by Hazelden Publishing, helps to assist adults in developing practical skills to reach your goals.
The program is divided into two unique components: Personal Growth and Practical Guidance. Each component has a variety of topics which is offered at no cost to you.
941-953-0000 ext. 5102ENROLL TODAY
This is a free adult prevention education program offered to groups in Sarasota County.
Living Skills is divided into two unique components: Personal Growth and Practical Guidance. Personal growth covers the internal skills needed to be a positive member of a community while Practical Guidance provides information about the day-to-day external skills needed to live a healthy life.
Each topic includes four (30-45 minute) sessions. Living Skills is a resource offered to individuals in a group setting. Registration is open to both individuals and organizations with small groups who can benefit from any of these classes, pick one or more topics to be scheduled at your convenience.
Explores the internal skills needed to be a positive member of the community
• Making Decisions –The importance of good decisions and the consequences of poor decision making. Examines the significance of learning from past decisions and consulting with others to support decisions.
• Refusal Skills-Learn how to set boundaries, and respectfully but assertively saying “no.”
• Interpersonal Skills-Conveys the importance of basic communication skills, conflict resolution and healthy relationships.
• Values and Responsibilities-Identification of admiral qualities, defining and prioritizing personal values. Defining personal responsibility and how this correlates with values in action.
• Setting and Attaining Goals-Introduction of the concept of goals and why they are important. Differentiating between long-term and short-term goal setting and the value of accomplishment.
• Parenting and Child Development-Exploring healthy and unhealthy parenting styles and how they can help or hurt children. What is the difference between discipline and punishment.
MOVING TOWARD SUCCESS
Explores external skills needed to live a healthy life
• Hygiene and Self-care-Teaching basic hygiene, importance of self-care and negative consequences of neglecting self- care and the benefits of timely self-care.
• Sexual Health-Definition of sexual health; sexually transmitted diseases, sexual abuse, and resources for local providers if abuse is detected.
• Looking for Work-Conveying the importance of employment, using personal strengths and passions to secure gainful employment. Identifying resources to support employment searches, interviewing skills, and writing cover letters and resume’s.
• Education-The importance of learning, identifying passion for continued educational goals, and exploration of opportunities to support education.
• Managing Money-The benefits budgeting, values of paying off debt, and resources to receive financial support.
• Securing Housing-Reviews various options for housing and weighs the pros and cons of each option. Education on tenant’s rights and responsibilities.
FIRST STEP OF SARASOTA, INC. IS A 501 (C ) (3) ORGANIZATION. A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION ON CH1573 MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL FREE 800 435 7352 WITHIN THE STATE. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.